There is no better way to celebrate the fall season than with a bang. If you’re having a hard time thinking of fun fall party themes, we’ve got the perfect list to help you enjoy this wonderful season.
The infographic (click to zoom):
Fall Party Themes You Can Try Out
1. Traditional Halloween or Horror Film Party Theme: Let's face it; fall has become almost intrinsically tied to Halloween, in the same way that winter and Christmas are identified with each other. Therefore, it's only fitting that one of your top 10 party themes includes a Halloween theme.
There are multiple ways to go about this. You can go the "pumpkin, skeleton, ghoul, witch, and vampire" route of party themes with gory yet fun hors d'oeuvres that all the kids will adore. You can also zero-in on a particular film from the horror, suspense, or thriller genres (e.g, Psycho, Saw, Paranormal Activity), and make that movie your party’s general theme.
2. Gothic or Funeral "Party" Theme: If you've ever watched The Addams Family or a Tim Burton film, there you go. That should give you a good idea of the kind of "Goth" that's being referred to with this party theme as portrayed by pop culture.
Your Gothic party theme should be full of checkered, black-and-white designs and formal wear as well as spooky, formal, austere, tongue-in-cheek, and elegant imagery. It's like attending the theme park version of a funeral.
You can also include the creepier works of Edgar Allan Poe, like his poem "Lenore", as an added inspiration for your Gothic-themed celebration.
3. Medieval Party Theme: If you're a Game of Thrones or Song of Ice and Fire fan, then you should have a good idea of what's in store for this thematic celebration. It's all about medieval and European mythology.
For the children, you can go the Disney route of prince and princesses as well as fairy tales. For the adults, you can deal with either historical fiction of King Arthur's Queen Guinevere falling for Sir Lancelot or historical fact behind the sort of lives peasants and royals lived in the Dark Ages, including warts and all.
4. Thanksgiving Party Theme: Halloween isn't the only holiday during autumn. Therefore, it's only fitting that you celebrate autumn with another one of its famous traditions: Thanksgiving. From turkey preparations to pilgrim costumes, this theme is steeped with strong images and symbols.
According to legend and pop culture, this day came about when the pilgrims and the "Indians" (actually, Native Americans) shared in a celebration to give thanks for the blessing of the harvest as well as the blessings received in the previous year.
In reality, the origin of this particular holiday isn't as religious as other "holy days". This is, of course, in reference to the "First Thanksgiving" at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts. Nonetheless, you can easily enjoy a Thanksgiving party theme around this time.
5. Harvest Time Party Theme: This is a family-friendly theme with lots of fun fall party ideas. As established in the previous entry, Thanksgiving actually came about exactly because of harvest time celebrations.
As such, you can consider this party more of a "Mother Nature"-themed outdoor celebration complete with organic food and mostly vegetarian treats (i.e., loads of corn, wheat, and potatoes) to separate it from a Thanksgiving-themed party.
This is the perfect time for you to celebrate "Thanksgiving" the way the pilgrims did many centuries ago.
6. Oktoberfest Party Theme: This probably isn't a child-friendly party theme, but it will be a hit among the college-level and adults crowd for sure. German in origin, this is another theme party with a distinct, easily identifiable look to it.
Filled with Bavarian costumes, sausages, huge mugs, and (of course) fountains of frothy beer, it's the perfect theme for those who want to indulge in a little socially approved alcoholism.
7. Football or Sports Party Theme: Why limit it to (American) football? If your household members and/or friends are a particularly sporty bunch, then you can put in baseball, hockey, basketball, or even soccer (international football) in your themed party.
Anything goes. Make your celebration venue look like a sporting goods store or stick to an agreed sport. Let the junk food, alcohol, and steaks flow! Get some other barbecued meats included there as well.
Strap on those helmets, put on those kleats, and buckle up if there's a game on. Wear those jerseys, wave those flags, memorize those stats, and make those wagers, it's time for some sports mayhem!
8. Impressionist Party Theme: If you're here to celebrate the colorful shades of fall, then why not do so with the famous autumnal paintings of Claude Monet, one of the leading figures of the impressionist art movement?
Monet is one of those old masters that captured the essence of autumn in every one of his fall paintings. He epitomized the 19th century art movement that was all about capturing the feeling and emotion of a fleeting moment unto canvas.
You can create your own impressionist party theme or Monet autumn theme by putting up recreations of his paintings or giving your party venue that distinctive impressionist style of painted beauty.
9. Dreamlike Party Theme: As masters of the weird, bizarre, and unexplained, you can count on Salvador Dali and M.C. Escher to design some of the most far-out parties you'll ever see.
Dali was a Spanish artist known for his fantastical and peculiar paintings involving melting clocks and the surrealist movement. Meanwhile, Escher is a Dutch artist renowned for his perspective-defying optical illusions and impossible constructions.
Using the aesthetic styles of either or both artists to bolster the weirdness factor of your fall party without going the full-on Halloween route can lead to a unique party experience without the use of psychedelic substances.
10. Film Noir Party Theme: A good party theme is all about having strong, easily identifiable visuals and imagery, so it makes perfect sense to go the film noir route in terms of making a fall party for you and your gang.
Why not try something in the vein of Blue Velvet or even The Maltese Falcon? Have guys do the full Roaring Twenties to Pre-World-War-II look complete with hats and suits while the "dames" wear trench coats or flapper dresses.
Make everything look like a stylish Hollywood crime drama, with femme fatales in the vein of Marlene Dietrich and hard-boiled detectives in the vein of Humphrey Bogart.
A Final Word on Picking the Right Fall Party Themes
Despite having a somewhat distinctive morose vibe of its own, having a party during autumn need not be boring or grim. As this article showed, there are loads of party ideas to choose from when it comes to this particular season. Which fall theme party should you pick? It all depends on your needs, whether you want something colorful or surreal, grim or festive.
Did you like the infographic? Please share!
To embed this infographic on your site - copy and paste the code below:
<img src="http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/3546/files/Top_10_Fall_Party_Themes.jpg" alt="Top 10 Fall Party Themes (Infographic)" title="Top 10 Fall Party Themes (Infographic)" /></a><br/><a href="http://www.wecanpackage.com/blogs/diy/15724924-top-10-fall-party-themes-infographic"Cute Baby Shower Decorating Ideas (Infographic)</a>